Andermann / Andermatt

Extra Europ(e)a
Extra Europ(e)a
yapper

Re: Andermann from Alsace

Beitrag von yapper » So 2. Feb 2014, 17:33

I found a couple of Andermanns in HautRhin region when searching GeneaNet:

Michel Touissant's family tree list one record for Andermann in 1816 in Labaroche, France & another record for Andermann in 1816 in Riveauville, France but I am unable to view details or obtain email address to contact "mtou" who is listed as owner of tree.

yapper

Re: ANDERMANNs from Steimbke

Beitrag von yapper » Di 25. Feb 2014, 23:36

I found other Andermanns who migrated to America in late 1800s after my guy (who migrated in mid 1800s). Acording to their descendant, they ALL orginated from Steimbke, Hannover, Germany. There are records in the Lutheran church for many generations starting in the 1600s. Could these be related to my Antoine Andermann born in the early 1800s??

yapper

Andermann - DNA testing

Beitrag von yapper » Sa 6. Sep 2014, 13:26

Recruiting all ANDERMANN descendants for DNA testing. We are creating a surname project for all who wish to work together to find their common heritage through DNA testing and sharing of information. AndermaN and AndermaNN are the most common variants of the surname. All Andermann males are welcome to have their Y-DNA tested. Choose to identify 25 genetic markers or better yet is to test for 37 markers. Join us and prove your heritage. We hope to link all Andermanns in Europe to Andermanns in America.

For more information on DNA testing visit the Family Tree DNA website at: http://www.familytreedna.com

thank you,
Laurie Andermann Cochran

yapper

Re: Andermatt von Baar ZG

Beitrag von yapper » Sa 6. Sep 2014, 13:51

Recruiting all ANDERMATT descendants for DNA testing. We are creating a surname project for all who wish to work together to find their common heritage through DNA testing and sharing of information. All Andermatt males are welcome to have their Y-DNA tested. Choose to identify 25 genetic markers or better yet is to test for 37 markers. We suspect that AndermaNN and AndermaTT are the same surnames with alternate spellings. We hope to link all Andermanns/Andermatts in Europe to Andermanns/Andermatts in America. Join us and prove your heritage!

For more information on DNA testing visit the Family Tree DNA website at: http://www.familytreedna.com

thank you,
Laurie Andermann Cochran

Wolf

Re: Andermatt in der Schweiz

Beitrag von Wolf » Sa 6. Sep 2014, 15:31

I am sorry, Laurie - but this is getting confusing:

1) You seem to assume that there is a relation between Andermann and Andermatt. Whilst Andermatt is an old Swiss name (families since before 1800 in several cantons), Andermann is not. In your Andermann thread it is suggested that your Andermann ancestor might(!) be of Swiss origin - but (unless I missed something) there is no real indication of this. This leaves three possibilities:
a) Andermann did exist as Swiss citizens in the early 19th century - but have become extinct since then - or (more likely)
b) Andermann are not of Swiss origin.
c) When moving to a different language region (like from Switzerland or Germany to America) spelling changes (due to hearing / writing / reading problems) are quite common, but mostly along phonetically similar lines, i.e. Andermatt >> Andermann is not what one would usually expect.

2) In searching for Antoine Andermann, however, a new thread was started, looking for an Antoine Andermatt - and only because in some register an Andermatt of Baar was mentioned (not surprisingly, as Baar is one of their old places of citizenship) titled Andermatt of Baar ZG. Again - no indication for a connection of your ancestor to Baar is given (apart from the different name).

3) In this Andermatt thread you are now asking for people to participate in your Andermann/Andermatt DNA project - identical to your call in Andermann in der Schweiz(?).

In order to avoid the discussion drifting apart (identical question in two separate threads) I suggest that all future discussions on the topic take place in Andermann in der Schweiz(?).

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz (GHGO) - https://www.ghgo.ch/
Eingesetzte Software: Ahnenforscher

yapper

Andermann / Andermatt

Beitrag von yapper » Di 9. Mär 2021, 16:39

Hi there,

My ancestor immigrated to America in early 1800s. Passenger lists indicate the following:

Ship: Henry IV
Arrival date: 18 June 1834
Port of arrival: New York
Port of departure: Havre
Place of origin: France

Curious if there are any further details such as actual town that he/his family were from that can be obtained from French records on departing side?

thanks so much for your help!

griffy

Re: Andermann / Andermatt

Beitrag von griffy » Di 9. Mär 2021, 17:25

Hi,

In general, France has very good civil registration for that time, but it would really help if you gave us at least a family name to get started.

If you have no idea where your ancestor(s) come from, you could begin by checking out the website geopatronyme to at least locate the region(s) where a given family name is present. If it's not too common, it can give you a good starting point.

Best regards,

Griffy

yapper

Beitrag von yapper » Di 9. Mär 2021, 17:37

Thanks for your quick reply :D

Antoine Andermatt
male age 28

Unfortunately, we have no idea of family origin which is why we were hoping that additional French records may provide more insight :o

griffy

Beitrag von griffy » Di 9. Mär 2021, 17:45

Well, Andermatt sounds very Swiss to me...

If you look up the The Register of Swiss Surnames, you'll see that Andermatt comes from the following cantons:
Andermatt.png

The places with an "a" are cantons where the surname has been recorded before 1800.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

griffy

Beitrag von griffy » Di 9. Mär 2021, 17:51

According to Geneanet, we can see that there where some Andermatt living in France in the 19th century. And maybe even earlier in Alsace.

For those interested, a link to the passenger lists can be found at familysearch.

The ship "Henry IV" can be found on page 407 of the book : Passenger lists of vessels arriving at New York, 1820-1897 [microform], which is also downloadable in different formats.

This is the part where Antoine Andermatt is mentioned:

Antoine_Andermatt.png

A transcript is also available.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

yapper

Beitrag von yapper » Di 9. Mär 2021, 21:01

Thanks again - decades ago, my sister got the passenger list from Ancestry.com but in the last decade, I pulled a copy from FamilySearch

Louisiana records indicate that he was Swiss German from Alsace Lorraine (which is a territory that switched between Germany & France). He married (1836 in New Orleans) a gal (Katterlet) from Belfort but there are no parents listed for him on his marriage record. :?

We have been able to trace back many generations of his wife's family in France but no such luck for him or his family :(

griffy

Beitrag von griffy » Di 9. Mär 2021, 22:41

I did a quick search through the 10-year tables of the towns with Andermatt connections in both the Haut-Rhin and Bas-Rhin Departements, a list I compiled from the trees on Geneanet. No luck. The only town with Andermatt births in the early 19th century is La Wantzenau : all girls, no Antoine in sight.

Of course, Antoine might be from any other town in Alsace, that's not on my list. Another possibility could be that he was born in Switzerland, and Alsace was only a stop on his way to the US.

Another way to tackle this problem might be to check emigration lists for citizens from those cantons in Switzerland where the Andermatt originate from. It's a long shot, but who knows? Andermatt genealogies would be another option.

What information can you share about Antoine such as dates of marriage, death, naturalization? How old was he when he died? Where did he live?

If you're lucky, Antoine might have had to deal with the authorities of his canton of origin for official papers like a birth or baptism record, inheritance matters, etc.

yapper

Beitrag von yapper » Di 9. Mär 2021, 23:08

1803 or 1813 estimated Antoine's birth (unknown location) based upon age 45 or 55 at death in 1858
1834 immigration based upon passenger list
No known relatives in USA / no known information of naturalization
1835 marriage to Hortense Katterlet in New Orleans, Louisiana (parents unknown)
Lived on the "German coast" of south Louisiana along with other Swiss Germans & Acadians (Cajuns)
1858 death in St James parish, Louisiana

Note: Other spelling of surnames are AndREmann and AndermaNN

griffy

Beitrag von griffy » Mi 10. Mär 2021, 02:48

I see that you've been trying many a reader's patience on ahnenforschung.net and in the Swiss section of this forum since at least 2013.

As Wolf already suggested, the leap from Andermatt to Andermann is not what you would normally expect. It's one thing for an official to mistype or enter a phonetic variation of a surname into the records, it's another for the subject to suddenly change his own name. It would be interesting to find documents signed by Antoine himself.

Maybe Antoine was an orphan, which would explain why there's no trace of his parents in the marriage records.

More capable and experienced people have tried to help you without much success. I'm stopping here and now.

Antworten

Zurück zu „Emigration/Immigration (World)“