Bernard in Basel BS

Moderator: Wolf

Kuentz2012

Bernard in Basel BS

Post by Kuentz2012 »

Hello,

I am new to this site. I am researching my ggrandmother Victorine Ann Bernard. She was born 20 May 1892 in Basel according to her death certificate and the information I found on her emigration to the US in 1911. Her father was Emil Bernard and I believe he was born 27 Sep 1864 in France and her mother was Barbara Steinman - I believe Barbara died around 1909.

Can anyone help me with trying to figure out what Canton Victorine was born in so that I can find a record of her birth and her parents. I know she had at least 7 siblings and half siblings. Can anyone give me some tips where to start?

Thank you in advance for any assistance,
Laurie

Peter.D

Re: Bernard von Basel

Post by Peter.D »

Hello Laurie, Anna Victoria Bernard was in fact born in the city of Basel in 1892, as you can see from the attached copy. Her father originally came from Belfort in France. Interestingly, there is a second birth of Bernard-Wahl from Belfort immediately below Bernard-Steinmann!

You can now contact the State Archives of Basel and ask them for a copy of the full birth certificate under "StABS Civilstand L 1.17, Nr. 954" - and also Nr. 955 if you are interested. However, the certificates from Switzerland do not show so many details as you may know it from France or Germany.
Additional information on this family would be available from the Residents' Registration Files in the State Archives. But those inquiries will be charged with CHF 50.- per each half hour.

Peter

------------------

Im Online Archivkatalog des Staatsarchivs Basel-Stadt finden Sie den Link zum kompletten Digitalisat L 3.2. Répertoire zu Geburtsregister A 1886-1893.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wolf on Wed 22. Aug 2012, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link Online-Katalog

Kuentz2012

Post by Kuentz2012 »

Peter, Thank you so much for the information. Wow, her death certificate always listed her as Victorine Ann Bernard. I really appreciate you taking the time to look up this info. May I please ask what the other information says on the sheet? Was it normal to add the mother's last name also? Who is the Adolf listed on that line? Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Peter.D

Post by Peter.D »

Hi Laurie, the copy is from the alphabetic index of all births in Basel in 1892 for family names starting with B.
The first column shows the family name of the parents, in your case Bernard-Steinmann, the second column the christian names of the child, the third one the place of origin, and the fourth one the registration number in the birth register (the so called A-Register of births).
In the 5th to 8th column, you find the continuation of the births; thus Adolf has nothing to do with your family.
The family name of the child was Bernard only, not Bernard-Steinmann. The French name most probably was Victorine Anne, but the official entry was in German. Belfort was always French speaking.

The files of the Residents Registration would show you when and from where the parents arrived in Basel, where they lived and when to where they left, as well as potential other family members.

Peter

Kuentz2012

Post by Kuentz2012 »

Peter,

Thanks again for all of the assistance! If I can ever help with anything in the US, please let me know.

With much appreciation,
Laurie

Return to “Basel Stadt (BS)”