Gsell von Castiel bzw. Chur GR

Moderator: Wolf

Antworten
lyleswart

Gsell von Castiel bzw. Chur GR

Beitrag von lyleswart » Sa 3. Jul 2021, 19:11

Vorbemerkung: Die Linien von Castiel bzw. Chur gehen beide auf Einbürgerungen (1851 bzw. 1853) von aus Nürnberg (Bayern) stammenden Namensträgern zurück. Wegen der möglichen Verwandtschaft erscheint es deswegen sinnvoll, beide Linien in einem Thema gemeinsam zu behandeln.
===========================================================

Hello everyone,

I am a genealogist from the USA looking to identify the parents of my great-grandfather, Anton Gottlieb Gsell. According to US and family documents, Anton was born in Chur, Graubünden 25 January 1872. (He died 9 March 1932 in South San Francisco, CA.) In addition, Anton had two brothers who also immigrated to the USA, Peter Johan Benedickt Gsell (born 1 Dec 1876, Chur) and Hermann Victor Gsell (born 1873).

I checked the register of Swiss Surnames database (https://hls-dhs-dss.ch/famn/index.php) and found 2 entries for Gsell in Graubünden: 1853 in Chur and 1851 in nearby Castiel. I don't know if one or both are the Gsell family I'm looking for.

I'm hoping for some advice/suggestions, please. Should I contact the Civil Registry Office Plessur (Klostergasse 11, PO Box 850, 7001 Chur) to request a "Familienschein"? Is that the right term and office to email?

I am not new to genealogy, but I have not done any research in Switzerland. I appreciate any suggestions as I have run out of leads on this side of the Atlantic.

Best,
Lyle

MarkMu

Re: Help Finding Great-Great-Grandparents In Chur

Beitrag von MarkMu » Sa 3. Jul 2021, 21:09

Hello Lyle,

Although I am no expert, I would suspect that your man is probably descending from the one that became citizen of Chur in 1853. But both of the Gsell families with citizenship in the Canton of Graubunden are originally from Germany and are quite possibly related. But I wonder if these German Gsell's were not descending from Gsell's that in earlier times emigrated to Germany from Switzerland. The Staatsarchiv (Cantonal archive) in Chur could possibly help, but 1872 is getting close to the date when records are being kept by the Regional Civil authorities.
Greetings from Canada,

Markus

lyleswart

Re: Help Finding Great-Great-Grandparents In Chur

Beitrag von lyleswart » Sa 3. Jul 2021, 22:12

Thanks for the reply, Markus. I too noticed that both Gsell entries registered in Graubünden were originally from Germany. Like you, I wonder if they emigrated to and from what is present-day Switzerland and Germany. Plus if they are indeed related given the proximity of Chur & Castiel, only two years between emigration dates (1851 & 1853) and again both from Germany. Seems possible; time will tell, hopefully! Thanks again for your response.

PS - Hope the weather in Canada is getting cooler!

Lyle

Wolf

Re: Gsell in Chur GR

Beitrag von Wolf » Sa 3. Jul 2021, 23:06

First of all - welcome to the forum, Lyle!

You might be lucky and someone here researches the family - not very likely, however, with a family gaining a Swiss citizenship mid-19th century.

Asking for a Familienschein is one possibility: ask at the Office, what you have to do (and pay) to get one.

An alternative could be the "Bürgerregister", which were started in 1860 in Graubünden: they are kept at the State Archive - worth asking if someone there would check this. This register in theory has the same information as the Familienschein (actually, as the "modern" civil registry system was started in 1876, the Familienschein might even be based on the Bürgerregister) - but the fee might be much lower ;).

It might be a good idea to read their "Information Sheet Genealogy"

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz (GHGO) - https://www.ghgo.ch/
Eingesetzte Software: Ahnenforscher

Carmen

Re: Gsell von Chur GR

Beitrag von Carmen » So 4. Jul 2021, 12:42

Hallo Lyle

Johann Christoph Gsell hat sich am 25.6.1853 in Chur eingebürgert. Johann Christoph Gsell kommt ursprünglich aus Nürnberg Deutschland. Siehe auch "Einbürgerungen 1801-1960" Seite 174. Von Beruf war er Buchhändler. Er ist im Familienregister Nr. 212 aufzufinden. Die Familienregister sind im Stadtarchiv in Chur. Die Daten sind alle von mir erfasst im Stadtarchiv Chur erhältlich.

Fredi
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

lyleswart

Beitrag von lyleswart » So 4. Jul 2021, 18:46

Hi Fredi,

I am both amazed and grateful! The pdf you have enclosed provides more information on our Gsell family than we've had in literally three generations. I can't wait to share this with my 80 year old mother as she knows very little about her grandfather! Again, thank you! Thanks also for the information on the 1853 Civil Registry entry, which we now know is Johann Christoph Gsell. A couple of quick questions, please. I don't see Johann on the pdf Familienregister which lists Anton's father as Peter Franz Gottlieb Gsell (and *his* father as Conrad Franz Josef Gsell - apparently my 3rd great grandfather. Amazing!). Just wondering if or how you think Johann Christoph Gsell might be related to my family as outlined in the pdf Familienregister? Anyone's thoughts are welcome!

I will, of course, follow up with the City Archives at Chur to inquire about purchasing an original copy of the Familienregister records for Peter Franz Gottlieb Gsell (1842-1979), his parents (provided they are registered at Chur), and Anton's mother Magdalena Zust. Fredi, are the numbers associated with each name - for example Peter Franz Gottlieb Gsell, 183388 - your internal system or that of the Swiss registry - and as such a reference they'd recognize?

Finally, I noticed that great-grandfather Anton was married (1897) and divorced (1902) in Chur. He had apparently abandoned his first wife as he married my great-grandmother in Illinois in 1900! Would these Swiss marriage/divorce records be civil or church-based do you think? (He didn't appear to be religious in the USA, so not sure where to look.)

I'd like to also thank Wolf for your suggestions as well as a warm welcome to the forum!

Again, very grateful ... thank you Fredi.

Best,
Lyle

Carmen

Beitrag von Carmen » So 4. Jul 2021, 22:01

Hallo Lyle

Ich habe dir noch alle Gsell und deren Verwandten.

Die Nummer die du erwähnt hast ist die interne Nummer, es sind bald 200'000.

Gruss Fredi
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

Peter.D

Beitrag von Peter.D » Mo 5. Jul 2021, 18:13

Hallo Lyle

Zu deiner letzten Frage vom 4.7.: die Scheidung 1902 erfolgte durch ein Zivilgericht und wurde sowohl im Eheregister als Randvermerk wie auch im Bürgerregister eingetragen. Am besten fragst du beim Staatsarchiv in Chur, ob das entsprechenden Urteil noch vorhanden ist. Eventuell befindet es sich bei den Zivilgerichts-Protokollen des Bezirksgerichts Plessur.

Peter

lyleswart

Re: Gsell by Chur GR

Beitrag von lyleswart » Mo 5. Jul 2021, 22:20

Hello everyone,

Thank you again, Fredi. The database you have created of Graubünden family documents is incredible. It is very generous of you to share with me! This is more information about my Swiss relatives than I have been able to collect in almost 30 years of genealogy. Plus, I now have much more to learn and follow up on! Thank you again.

Peter - Thanks also for your reply. I will follow-up with the city and state archives in Chur to see if there is any documentation regarding Anton's 1902 divorce. My guess is abandonment as I don't think he returned to Switzerland post 1898. An interesting time and storyline is emerging. Fredi's records indicate that Anton had a daughter - Anna Elsa Gsell - with Anna Barbara Florin in 1893. (I have another great-aunt! I was quite close to my other great-aunts in South San Francisco. I'm certain they never knew they had a Swiss sibling; this news would've amazed them.) I know Anton came to the US shortly after Anna's birth and returned to Switzerland after a few years here. Apparently he returned - married Anna's mother Anna Florin in March 1897 - and then left for good not long after, serving in the Spanish-American War by May 1898.

I shared all this with my mother and she was fascinated! Fredi - I'm curious if you have any additional information on Anna Elsa Gsell (188778) and Anna Florin (187996)? The record indicates Anna Elsa Gsell eventually married Heinrich Hug (188779). I'd be pleased to learn what became of my newly-found great-aunt!

Thank you all so much once again!

Best,
Lyle

Carmen

Beitrag von Carmen » Di 6. Jul 2021, 09:04

Hallo Lyle

Ich habe dir noch alle Vorfahren und deren Nachkommen von Anna Elsa Gsell.
Allerdings habe ich von Anna Barbara Florin nur noch deren Eltern. Die Florin sind aus Obervaz und katholisch. Da ich nur die protestantischen Gemeinden bearbeite habe ich die Kirchenbücher von Obervaz nicht. Anna Dazzi aus S-chanf ist im Kirchebuch von S-chanf nicht aufgeführt, auch die Heirat deren Eltern nicht. Möglicherweise findet man diese im Familienregister, oder per Zufall in einem anderen Kirchenbuch. Nachkommen von Anna Elsa Gsell habe ich nicht, auch die Vorfahren von Heinrich Hug habe ich nicht. Diese musst du im Kirchenbuch von Weinfelden Thurgau suchen, diese Daten bekommst du sicher auf den Mikrofilmen der Mormonen. Wegen den Scheidungsunterlagen von Anton Gsell habe ich auf dem Stadtarchiv nachgefragt. Sie werden dies prüfen und mir Bescheid geben ob es solche Unterlagen gibt.

Gruss Fredi

Carmen

Beitrag von Carmen » Di 6. Jul 2021, 10:59

Hallo Lyle

Ich habe mich im Stadtarchiv erkundigt über Scheidungsunterlagen. Diese sind im Staatsarchiv.

Du hast dich im Staatsarchiv erkundigt wegen eines Stammbaumes, den habe ich dir zugesandt. Das Staatsarchiv hat die Daten auch von mir, da gibt es nicht mehr.

Die Scheidungsunterlagen musst du dort verlangen und dies ist Kostenpflichtig. Ausser du hast Geduld bis ich das nächste mal in Chur bin, dann könnte ich dir diese raussuchen. Aber ich weiss noch nicht wann ich das nächste mal in Chur bin.

Ich habe dir noch den Eintrag aus dem Buch Einbürgerungen. Da hat es auch noch Unterlagen über die Einbürgerung. Diese kannst du auch im Staatsarchiv beantragen.

Gruss Fredi

lyleswart

Re: Gsell von Castiel resp. Chur GR

Beitrag von lyleswart » Mi 7. Jul 2021, 00:33

Hello Fredi,

Thank you again for your expertise, support and patience. While I am proficient conducting genealogical research in the USA, Canada and the UK, research in Switzerland is quite different. It can be a bit confusing. Yes, I wrote the State and City Archives to purchase electronic copies of the original naturalization files for my records. I was not asking them for a family tree; you have already generously provided that, for which I am grateful! Like many genealogists, I also try to collect copies of original documents whenever I can. Sandra Nay, a representative of the Staatsarchiv Graubünden / Amt für Kultur (https://www.gr.ch/DE/institutionen/verw ... start.aspx) was kind enough to email me back today and inform me that they could not help. She referred me to the Zivilstandsamt Plessur (https://www.chur.ch/aemter/9104). Is this the appropriate location to purchase copies of the original naturalization documents for my records? I apologize for any confusion.

Yes, I am very interested in Anton Gsell's divorce document(s). Whenever you are next in Chur if you could investigate, I would appreciate it ... and of course pay for any fees. I am also happy to do this remotely from the United States, but am again not sure whether this is possible or exactly where to inquire.

One final question, please. I've noticed "kirchenbuch" listed in several entries. For example, Conrad Franz Josef Gsell (176217) lists the kirchenbuch as Chur. Is this the Catholic Church registry - or are we unable to tell? Have any Graubünden or Chur church registries been microfilmed by the LDS Church (Mormon)? I know that the church registers of other cantons have been microfilmed by the Mormon church, but have not seen any for Graubünden. I read that they are available at the State Archives, but alas that is a long way to travel at the moment!

Again, thank you all for what might be rudimentary questions as I learn the intricacies of Graubünden research!

Best,
Lyle

Carmen

Re: Gsell von Castiel bzw. Chur GR

Beitrag von Carmen » Mi 7. Jul 2021, 16:10

Hallo Lyle

Am nächsten Dienstag bin ich in Chur und werde die Dokumente kopieren. Zu deiner Frage von KB. Das ist die Information aus welchem Kirchenbuch KB dass ich die Daten habe.

Gruss Fredi

Peter.D

Re: Gsell von Castiel bzw. Chur GR

Beitrag von Peter.D » Mi 7. Jul 2021, 16:47

In Ergänzung zu Fredis Antworten hier noch der Text aus der Einbürgerungsregeste:

Gsell Franz, geb. 1812, verh., Buchhändler, von Nürnberg, Bayern, in Chur, eingebürgert in Chur, Kt. 25.6.1853, Gd. 6.6.1853, Taxe Fr. 1000.—; Ehefrau: (2. Ehe) Susanna Barb., geb. Otto, 1822; Kinder: Peter Franz Gottlieb (1.Ehe) 1842, Catharina 1845, Bernh. Friedr. Conrad 1847, Marie 1850, Robert 1851, Hermann Rudolf 1852, Hermina 1854; Quellen: Ak IV 25 g 4; GRP 1853/77; BEC II 11

Da die Einbürgerung 1853 sowohl vom Kanton wie auch der Stadt Chur behandelt und bewilligt werden musste, gibt es Akten in beiden Archiven. In der Regeste sind die Signaturen bereits angegeben (Ak und GRP im StAGR, BEC im Stadtarchiv). Der Bundesrat musste dagegen erst ab 1877 die Einbürgerung von Ausländern bewilligen, bevor die Kantone einbürgern durften; daher befinden sich erst ab diesem Datum auch Akten im Bundesarchiv. Das Zivilstandsamt war dagegen nicht im Einbürgerungsprozess involviert, ausser dass es nach erfolgreicher Einbürgerung natürlich die entsprechenden Eintragungen in den Registern vornehmen musste.

Peter

lyleswart

Re: Gsell von Castiel resp. Chur GR

Beitrag von lyleswart » Do 8. Jul 2021, 02:52

Hello Fredi and Peter!

Thanks to both of you for writing.

Fredi - that’s terrific news that you will be visiting Chur next Tuesday. Much sooner than I had imagined. Thanks in advance for copying the relevant documents for me. Please let me know what the fees and your expenses are as I’d very much like to reimburse you. I’ll send you an email offline in the next day or so to see if we can figure out a convenient payment system between Nevada and Switzerland.

Peter - Great add to what Fredi has written. I appreciate your explanation! Yes, I saw the entry for Franz Gsell you referenced in the Naturalizations 1801-1960 book. I’m not sure what the “Taxe Fr. 1000” was for. Citizenship fee? Seems a fair amount of money in 1853. I do like that my Gsell family had a couple of “Buchhändlers” - my kind of people! Also seems like a trip to Nürnberg will be in order one day for us. I wonder why they emigrated to Chur from Nürnberg? At any rate, thank you again.

Cheers from near Las Vegas (where it was was 46°C today!)

Lyle

Antworten

Zurück zu „Graubünden (GR)“