Barbano von Oberhelfenschwil SG

Moderator: Wolf

Antworten
BarbanoFamily

Barbano von Oberhelfenschwil SG

Beitrag von BarbanoFamily » Di 11. Sep 2018, 18:05

Hello, we are looking for family history of the name Barbano (Louis and Clara Barbano - brother and sister in law?; Ludwig and Pauline (Knopp or Knupp) Barbano - Parents?, Maria or Emmy Barbano - Sister?; Johanna Barbano and Erica Barbano - relatives? other possible relatives Doris Barbano and Rita Barbano) who lived in St Gallen and were immediate family to Ernst (Ernest) Otto Barbano, date of birth for Ernst (Ernest) 7/19/1904, who immigrated to the United States in 1924.
Zuletzt geändert von Wolf am Di 11. Sep 2018, 18:49, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Grund: urspr. Titel: Ernst (Ernest) Barbano history - St Gallen

Wolf
Re: Barbano von Oberhelfenschwil SG

Beitrag von Wolf » Di 11. Sep 2018, 20:42

Welcome to the forum 8-).

You state "St.Gallen": I assume this means the canton (state) of St.Gallen - not the capital city of the same name. Barbano is not an old Swiss name, but a Barbanao family, originally from Italy, has gained citizenship of Oberhelfenschwil (canton St.Gallen) in 1897. I have modified the title of this thread accordingly: could be corrected later if necessary.

The State Archive holds a register of such naturalisations - which may lead to more detailed protocolls.

Ernst Barbana was born 19.Sep.1904 - there is a fair chance that this soon after naturalisation the family still lived in Oberhelfenschwil, and Ernst was actually born there: if he was or even if his parents were Oberhelfenschwil citizens by this time, his birth will be registered in the birth register Oberhelfenschwil of 1904 - including details about his parents.

I recommend you contact the State Archive (https://www.staatsarchiv.sg.ch/gn/kontakt.html): they don't have the resources to do genealogical research for you - but as you have detailed dates (1897 and 19.Sep.1904) and a given place (Oberhelfenschwil) they may be able to help you. Please, reprort here any additional information you get from them.

For information on other family members the situation is more complicated: you don't mention when these people were born and lived - problematic would be if they (or some) were born after 1917 (less than 100 years ago) due to the rather restrictive Swiss legislation on privacy protection. Once we know Ernst's parents, one could certainly search through extensive records at the State Archive to find other family members (born before 1918) ... rather time consuming. Alternatively you could ask for a "Familienschein" (family group sheet) from the Civil Registration Office in charge of Oberhelfenschwil: ask first what they are allowed to tell you - and what the fee would be.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen

BarbanoFamily

Beitrag von BarbanoFamily » Mi 12. Sep 2018, 17:53

Good Morning,

Yes, I meant the canton of St Gallen, I have the baptism and confirmation record for Ernst Barbano (Ernest Otto Barbano is the name on the papers) - His parents were Ludwig Barbano and Paulene Knupp.

We also have the obituary for Ludwig Barbano (its in German, I think and looks like maybe the he died March 1966), that lists the family members "In stiller Trauer" of Emmy Keller-Barbano, Zurich, Louis and Clara Barbano-Bruder, St Georgen, Rita and Josef Schwager und Kinder, Wil, Doris and Otto Brunschwiler-Barbano und Kinder, Bettwiesen und Anverwandte. I believe Louis was his brother.

We will try contacting the state archives and see if we can get information - thank you.

BarbanoFamily

Beitrag von BarbanoFamily » Mi 19. Sep 2018, 15:34

We received the following information from the state archives:

"In the attachment, you will find a scan out of the citizen-register of the town of Oberhelfenschwil, vol. B, No. 1124 containing the data of the Barbano family: Emilio Luigi Barbano (originally from Casale Monferrato, Italy, profession painter, born in Immenstadt in Bavaria, Germany on February 12, 1876 – March 4, 1966), married on July 1, 1897 in St.Gallen-Tablat (town of St.Gallen, quarter east) with Maria Katharina Paulina Knupp (originally from Muolen, Canton St.Gallen, born on May 29, 1869 – March 13, 1946). They had 3 children: Emma Paulina (born on September 20, 1897, married in 1923 with Karl Jakob Keller from Fischenthal, Canton Zurich); Ludwig Eugen (born May 8, 1899, married in 1925 with Klara Bruder, they lived in the town of St.Gallen) and Ernst Otto (born July 19, 1904 in the town of St.Gallen, married in Boonville Missouri on September 18, 1927 with Grace Agnes Anna Stretz(?), American citizen.

The family of Emilio Luigi Barbano (February 12, 1876 – March 4, 1966) lived in the town of St.Gallen (quarter east resp. Tablat-St.Fiden) since 1890. The parents were Luigi Barbano and Katharina Barbara Barbano-Mangold. Emilio Luigi Barbano had one brother who lived also in St.Gallen (quarter east resp. Tablat-St.Fiden) since 1890: Francesco Barbano (1874-1920). This information is out from the certificate of naturalization."

I would like to obtain the family group sheet from the Civil Registration office, but the online form asks for an address, which I am not sure how to obtain. Would appreciate any guidance or help on this? Thank you!
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Mi 19. Sep 2018, 17:12

Let me summarise:

Ernst Otto Barbano, born 19 Jul 1904, immigrated to the United States in 1924, is the son of

Luigi Emilio Barbano (12 Feb 1876 - 04 Mar 1966)
married 01 Jul 1897
Maria Katharina Paulina Knupp (29 May 1869 - 13 Mar 1946)

Sister: Emma Paulina Barbanao (born 20 Sep 1897)
married 12 Apr 1923
Karl Jakob Keller

Brother: Ludwig Eugen Barbanao (born 08 May 1899)
married 05 Nov 1925
Klara Bruder

This leaves the following as relatives:

Rita and Josef Schwager: a Rita Barbano, married Schwager is listed in the telephone directory.

Doris and Otto Brunschwiler-Barbano: there would be a Dosis Barbano (Ludwig's daughter?), married to Otto Brunschwiler.

Finally you mention Johanna Barbano and Erica Barbano - relatives?

------------------------------------

You were interested in a Familienschein (Family Group Sheet): is https://secure.i-web.ch/gemweb/wattwil/ ... t_id=25935 the web page you are referring to? This is meant for citizens (e.g. of Oberhelfenschwil) for their own family - and they would have to enter their own address. I assume you are not an Oberhelfenschwil citizen - so this does not apply to you.

I am not sure that a Familienschein will make sense for you:
- The Familienschein for Luigi Emilio Barbano and Maria Katharina Paulina Knupp will just contain the data you already have (Bürgerregister) - for a fairly hefty fee.
- There is no reference for Luigi Barbano and Katharina Mangold (Luigi's parents) - so there will not be any info on them available (they likely lived and died in Immenstadt).
- A Familienschein for Ernst Otto Barbano (the emigrant) will likely not contain any info you don't have already.
- You won't get a Familienschein for Emma Paulina Barbanao and Ludwig Eugen Barbanao, as you are not a direct descendant (prohibited by Swiss privacy legislation).

How to continue?
For the Barbano line: continue in Immenstadt.
For the Knupp line: check the wedding certificate (1897) for Maria Katharina Paulina's parents and place of citizenship.
For the "more recent" relatives: contact Rita Schwager-Barbano, and possibly Lucio Barbano, as Barbano is a rather rare name in Switzerland.

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Mi 19. Sep 2018, 17:20

I just discovered on https://www.kathwil.ch/fileadmin/Pfarrb ... z_2018.pdf that a memorial mass was held on 20 March 2018 for
Barbano-Bruder Clara + Louis, Wiesenstrasse, St.Gallen
and
Schwager-Barbano Josef, Wilenstrasse

BarbanoFamily

Beitrag von BarbanoFamily » Do 20. Sep 2018, 17:19

Thank you so much for the information. We may try to reach out and contact Rita Schwager with the information you were able to provide, just not sure if she speaks English. I will update as we get more information.

Antworten

Zurück zu „St.Gallen (SG)“