Uebelhart im Kanton Solothurn

Moderator: Wolf

Antworten
Bisabuela

Uebelhart im Kanton Solothurn

Beitrag von Bisabuela » Fr 22. Jun 2018, 14:58

Hello,

I am kindly asking if anyone in this Forum have information about my great grandfather Niklaus Uebelhart, born in Switzerland between 1846 and 1847. I want to find his exact date and place of birth, family composition, his departure to Argentina (South America) around 1870-1871, etc.

I already wrote to the Zivilstandsbeamtin, in Zivilstandamt Thal-Gäu, Schmelzihof, Wengimattstrasse 2, 4710 Klus-Balsthal (Solothurn) and they sent me an excerpt of written information on a person who I thought was my ancestor: born in Welschenrhor, Solothurn, because the name, last-name and year of birth were the same; but when I continued to research on that information, I found out that that Niklaus Uebelhart died and was buried in Stark County, OHIO, U.S., while my great grandpa (also Niklaus Uebelhart, born 1846-1847) emigrated to Argentina around 1870-1871, where he lived 'till his death, and was buried there.

I decided to travel to Switzerland this August 2018 to research in person, but I would prefer to have some guidance about where to research on my great-grandfather. Or maybe, with the help from this Forum, I can find the information before my trip and then plan my travel including a visit to the town where my great-grandpa was born... That will be amazing!!!

I would appreciate any help this Forum can offer me.

Kindest regards :) Ana Ubelarte (Uebelhart)

Peter.D

Re: Uebelhart im Kanton Solothurn

Beitrag von Peter.D » Fr 22. Jun 2018, 16:01

Hi Anna,
Are you sure that your ancestor was born in Welschenrohr? According to the Swiss Register of Surnames, also Hägendorf and Kienberg in the Canton of Solothurn as well as Schupfart in the Canton of Aargau are historical origins of the Uebelhard/t families. The spelling of the names was not yet standardized at that time.

The church records of Welschenrohr are available in digital form in any center of LDS. The records of the civil registry in the Canton of Solothurn prior to 1876 are available as paper copies in the Cantonal Archives in Solothurn - they are in fact duplicates of the parish registers. If your ancestor didn't emigrate in a clandestine way, you might also find additional records in the Archives in Solothurn. I suggest you contact them before you travel to Switzerland.

Ubelarte is indeed a nice translation of the name!

Peter

Bisabuela

Beitrag von Bisabuela » Sa 23. Jun 2018, 02:58

Hello Peter,

I truly appreciate your response and suggestions. I connected to Family Search (LDS) but didn't allow me to check online their film collection... I assume that the Cantonal Archives of Solothurn are in the Solothurn Library -where I am planning to go on Aug 2nd. and 3rd., accompanied by a generous Swiss citizen lady who speaks the language and offered to help.

Very interesting your information about the different ways the Uebelhart surname assumed, and corresponding regions to check... As for my great-grandpa, in the documents we have always reads: Niklaus Uebelhart -but maybe it was written slightly different in the Swiss registers... It is very worth to check.

I am open to receive any other suggestion/ information.

Many thanks, Peter.

God bless,

Ana Ubelarte (Uebelhart)

hhg

Beitrag von hhg » Sa 23. Jun 2018, 06:49

Ana,

as you may know LDS stopped the former way, to order microfilms to be send to your local FHC. Instead, these microfilms get digitalized to be available online. A pending project, but the camera symbol in the format column indicate Welschenrohr churchbooks are available online

https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library

Likely reason why you were not allowed to view is a false access classification (for LDS-members only). A friend, facing the same problem, was told this bug is being worked on, but it would take time. A registered LDS-member, who offered to help him, had no problem to log in and access the target material.

Try to talk to your local FHC again. Usually, the LDS-members-only access concerns the privacy for livings, not any 19th century data. Best case, one staff member might help you and check whether any name-sakes were born in close time frame.

BIG question, if Welschenrohr is the right place to search, or any of the other locations Peter mentioned were just as likely.

Take the chance to post any further infos you have about the ways of Niklaus, maybe that triggers further hints for your search in Switzerland. Good luck!

Bisabuela

Beitrag von Bisabuela » Sa 23. Jun 2018, 17:53

Dear hhg,

I sincerely appreciated your response. I am glad that LDS is working to remove barriers to their online digitalized information. I will try to contact my local FHC or get a LDS member helping me to search data.

I will follow Peter suggestions: searching beyond Welschenrhor, according to Uebelhart surname’s potential variances.

I also followed your suggestion on posting any further info about the ways of Niklaus…here it is:

“Niklaus Uebelhart, born in Suiza betwwen 1846 and 1847, arrived in Argentina around 1870.

Being in Argentina, in 1873 Niklaus Uebelhart married Katherina Battig (born in Switzerland), with whom they had 19 children. When Niklaus and Katherina died they were buried in Argentina.

In documents such as Baptisms of their children, besides Niklaus and his wife Katherina Battig/Uebelhart appear the signature of two adult women: Barbara Uebelhart, and Katherina Uebelhart de Roth (For example, Katherina Uebelhart and her husband Joseph Roth appear as the Godmother and Godfather in the Baptism of Catalina Uebelhart: daughter of Niklaus and his wife Katherina Battig)

We do not know if Barbara and Katherina Uebelhart were sisters or cousins with Niklaus, but they were definitely part of the Uebelhart family, and in close blood-relationship to Niklaus as to become Godmother for his child.

We also know that Katherina Uebelhart was born and married in Switzerland (between 1866 and 1867) to Joseph Roth, also born in Switzerland. The couple had two children born in Switzerland: Rosa (around 1868) and Albert (born in 1869); and they had another daughter (Lina) born in Argentina in 1870. For that reason, we estimated that Katherina, Barbara and Niklaus arrived to Argentina around 1870.

According to family stories handed down from generation to generation, my great-grandfather Niklaus showed serious feud/resentment with his relatives in Switzerland, always refusing to respond to abroad family members' attempts to communicate with him. This last reference is only provided with the purpose of adding more clues to this search, and it’s made without prejudice of any type.

I will truly appreciate any contribution/suggestion that help me to find the exact date, town of birth and ancestors of my great-grandpa: Niklaus Uebelhart.

Many thanks!

Ana Ubelarte (Uebelhart)

Peter.D

Beitrag von Peter.D » Sa 23. Jun 2018, 17:57

The restrictions to a access the digital LDS files are not bad will of LDS, but due to the agreements they had to sign when they filmed the church registers. A couple of Swiss cantons requested in the 80ies and 90ies that the films should only be available for internal purposes of LDS. This applies e.g. to Zurich and obviously also to Solothurn, but not or no longer to Basel-Stadt, Luzern or St. Gallen.

Therefore, in those restricted situations only members of LDS are allowed to access the digital files online. However, within a center of LDS also non-members should get access. Unfortunately, the local LDS staff is not always aware of this possibility.

Peter

Bisabuela

Beitrag von Bisabuela » Sa 23. Jun 2018, 19:20

I thank you for this clarification,

Ana

Toni

Beitrag von Toni » So 24. Jun 2018, 16:21

Hello Ana

The area around Welschenrohr (Solothurn) must bis the place of origin of your ancestors. Esepacially in combination with the Roth surname, which ist also well known in Welschenrohr and Herbetswil (the village east of Welschenrohr).

In the Herbetswil chirchbook are two records which fit to the emigrated couple Joseph Roth oo Katharina Übelhart:

Ehe 29. Juli 1867
Urs Josef Roth, von und zu Herbetswil, Arbeiter, Alter 27 Jahre, 5 Monate
--> Eltern: Jakob Roth von und zu Herbetswil, Landarbeiter oo Maria Eggenschwiler von Matzendorf
Katharina Übelhart von Welschenrohr, Alter 20 jahre, 4 Monate
--> Eltern: Urs Josef Übelhart, Landarbeiter von Welschenrohr oo Barbara Flury

Taufe 2. Juli 1869
Albert Roth, Eltern: Urs Josef Roth, Arbeiter von Herbetswil oo Katharina Übelhart von Welschenrohr
Paten: Niklaus Übelhart und Rosina Allemann, beide von Welschenrohr

Even if in Herbetswil no baptism of a daughter Rosa Roth (*abt 1868) can be found, Alberts godfather Niklaus Übelhart could be your ancestor Niklaus and the couple Urs Josef Übelhart oo Barbara Fluri could be his parents.

Unfortunately I have actually no copies of the Welschenrohr churchbook to verify this assumption. But I recommend to concentrate your further research in the Welschenrohr area.

Regards
Toni

-

Bisabuela

Beitrag von Bisabuela » So 24. Jun 2018, 18:53

Dearest Toni,

I can't believe that you found this!! For the past 40 years I have been researching without luck, and today, your response finally gives me light at the end of the tunnel.

I am forever grateful... Now all my efforts and the decision to visit the land of my ancestors makes sense.

I will be in touch.

God Bless!!!

Ana Ubelarte (Uebelhart)

Toni

Beitrag von Toni » Sa 4. Aug 2018, 07:15

Zur Information ins Forum: Der von Frau Ana Ubelarte gesuchte Vorfahre Niklaus Uebelhart konnte gefunden werden. :D

Er wurde am 26. Mai 1850 in Welschenrohr SO getauft als Niklaus Philip Uebelhart. Eltern: Urs Georg Uebelhart (1813-1885) und Barbara Fluri (1820-1887).
Vom Vater Urs Georg ist im Staatsarchiv Solothurn die Nachlassregelung (Inventar und Teilung) von 1885 erhalten. In dieser werden der Sohn Niklaus und die Tochter Katharina (verheiratet mit Josef Roth aus Herbetswil) als "wohnhaft in Amerika", an einer Stelle "in Süd-Amerika" erwähnt. Im Dokumentenstapel von 1885 ist auch ein Brief von Josef Roth aus Argentinien abgelegt. Roth schreibt darin im Namen seiner Frau Katharina Übelhart und seines Schwagers Niklaus Übelhart an die Behörden in Welschenrohr.
Damit ist die Auswanderung von Niklaus (Philip) Übelhart insgesamt belegbar.

Gruss, Toni

-

Bisabuela

Beitrag von Bisabuela » Do 30. Aug 2018, 19:11

Dear members of this GENEAL-FORUM,

I am very pleased to have secured the information I was looking for on my great-grandfather Niklaus UEBELHART, as well as visiting the beautiful Welschenrohr town where Niklaus Uebelhart was born.

Toni generously provided me with the right instructions and he personally found all documentation at the Solothurn Staatarchiv.

My special thanks to Toni and also the other members of this GENEAL-FORUM who efficiently contributed to help reach my goal.

I found the GENEAL-FORUM's role to be invaluable, please continue doing this great work.

Best regards,

Ana Uebelhart (Ubelarte)

Antworten

Zurück zu „Solothurn (SO)“