Kobi in Romanshorn TG

Moderator: Wolf

Antworten
Gertrudesdotter

Kobi in Romanshorn TG

Beitrag von Gertrudesdotter » Sa 14. Mär 2020, 21:30

Elisabeth (Kobi) Conaway, daughter of Ernst Kobi and Klara Merz, immigrated to the United States before 1950. I would appreciate information about her birth, marriage and other family data.
Zuletzt geändert von Wolf am So 15. Mär 2020, 09:25, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Grund: urspr. Titel: Kobi/Merz family of Romanshorn and Winterthur

Wolf

Re: Kobi in Romanshorn TG

Beitrag von Wolf » So 15. Mär 2020, 09:54

First of all - welcome to the forum, Gertrudesdotter !

Let me start with a technical comment: we discuss single families (defined by name and place of citizenship) only in each single topic. Husbands/wifes' families should be discussed in separate topics - these topics can then be linked to each other. Following this I have renamed your contribution, assuming that Elisabeth Kobi was born in Romanshorn - correct?

Now for your question - for a more detailed answer we would need some additional information. First - are you a direct descendant of Elisabeth Kobi? I am asking as research about persons born in the 20th century is rather restricted in Switzerland - unless you can prove to be a direct descendant. Also - do you have a date of birth for Elisabeth Kobi, at least a guessed year - or, even better, for her parents?

Some general information can be gained from the Register of Swiss Surnames. "Old" (i.e. since before 1800) Kobi citizenships are Münchenbuchsee and Rapperswil (both canton Bern). A line from Rapperswil gained citizenship of Winterthur in 1949 - they will have lived there for some time already, possibly for generations. This might be the link to the Merz family: several lines (i.e. different origins) gained Winterthur citizenship between 1877 and 1949.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz (GHGO) - https://www.ghgo.ch/
Eingesetzte Software: Ahnenforscher

Nico
Administrator

Beitrag von Nico » So 15. Mär 2020, 10:58

Hi,
nach diesen Angaben wurde Elisabeth am 27.11. 1922 geboren; leider ohne Hinweis auf den Geburtsort.

Nico

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » So 15. Mär 2020, 12:02

If born 1922 (and unless someone speaks up here, who knows the family) you will not get any "official" information - unless you are a direct descendant. If we assume her to be born in Romanshorn, I recommend you contact the Civil Registry Office Thurgau Ost and ask
1) whether they can identify Elisabeth Kobi (and her parents) in their register, and (if they can)
2) what the place of citizenship of her parents is.
Most Civil Registry Offices provide this information free of charge.
Once you know the place of citizenship of her parents, you can enquire there, what you have to do (and pay) to get a "Familienschein" of her parents.

Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz (GHGO) - https://www.ghgo.ch/

Gertrudesdotter

Beitrag von Gertrudesdotter » So 15. Mär 2020, 18:29

I am searching for data for my niece who is Elisabeth's granddaughter. Elisabeth Kobi WAS born 27 Nov 1922; she died in Baltimore MD USA 30 Nov 1997. You can see her in Find-a-Grave. On her Naturalization papers, she named her parents: Ernst Kobi and Klara Merz, and her birthplace as Winterthur, Bezirk Winterthur, Zurich, Switzerland. She married, in Europe, Elmer Barr Conaway, who was in the military at the time, probably 1947-1948. Her son James was born somewhere in Switzerland in 1948. She arrived in the U.S. December 1948 and was naturalized 1950.

Her family has a "farm" in Romanshorn, according to family lore. A sister may still live there.

We are still looking for details of her immediate family. Any help would be appreciated.

Gertrudesdotter

Beitrag von Gertrudesdotter » So 15. Mär 2020, 19:03

Should I repeat this message for Klara Merz in Winterthur? :?:

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » So 15. Mär 2020, 19:57

Gertrudesdotter hat geschrieben: So 15. Mär 2020, 18:29Elisabeth Kobi WAS born 27 Nov 1922; ... On her Naturalization papers, she named her parents: Ernst Kobi and Klara Merz, and her birthplace as Winterthur.
OK - so she was born in Winterthur - not Romanshorn. As a consequence your niece (who is the direct ancestor) should contact the Civil Registry Office Winterthur and ask if they find her birth in the register and (if yes) what the place of citizenship of her parents was. Get back to us once you have this information (or whatever response you get from the office).

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » So 15. Mär 2020, 19:59

Gertrudesdotter hat geschrieben: So 15. Mär 2020, 19:03 Should I repeat this message for Klara Merz in Winterthur? :?:
There is no point at this stage to start a new topic on Merz without further information. The place of citizenship of Ernst Kobi is from where we can continue effectively.

Antworten

Zurück zu „Thurgau (TG)“