Gahler von Tablat SG

Moderator: Wolf

Antworten
megethin

Gahler von Tablat SG

Beitrag von megethin » So 17. Jan 2016, 07:10

hello
I am an australian whose father was born in switzerland. I am interested in finding out more about my family tree. Our surname is Gahler from St Gallen, however, the family moved to Pratteln near Basel in prob the 1930s. The other surnames are Rutz (from Buchs SG) and Rothenberger (also SG), which has also led me to Liechtenstein where I have already gained all the information about the Lampert side of the tree. I would be willing to pay someone to help research my family as my poor german skills means that I cannot read all the information available on the internet. My father could help translate any messages in german. Look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards, Michelle
Zuletzt geändert von Wolf am So 17. Jan 2016, 13:49, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Grund: urspr. Titel: gahler/rutz/rothenberger

Wolf

Re: Gahler von Tablat SG

Beitrag von Wolf » So 17. Jan 2016, 14:32

First of all - welcome to the Forum, Michelle !

I hope you dont mind if I start with an organisational comment: in order to avoid confusion (later on) we only discuss single families (defined by surname and place of citizenship) in any thread - but then all postings related to that family should be in this thread. Other families (even if related by marriage) should be discussed in separate threads - which can be linked to each other.

Conclusion: please, start new threads on Rutz of Buchs and Rothenberger (do you know their place of citizenship?), giving as much detail as you have on the oldest person in that line as possible: the more detailed your request is, the better are your chances of helpful responses.

Now for your Gahler question: the only citizenship for Gahler in canton St.Gallen is Tablat SG, which has been incorporated into the political community of St.Gallen in 1918, but is still an independent "Ortsbürgergemeinde". I have re-named this thread accordingly. There is a minor caveat: there are also Gähler (with umlaut) families in Appenzell-Ausserrhoden, which could have lived in the city of St.Gallen.

Again the question: what is the information on the oldest Gahler ancestor for whom you have details. I am asking as the source to be checked next will depend on the time frame.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz (GHGO) - https://www.ghgo.ch/
Eingesetzte Software: Ahnenforscher

megethin

Beitrag von megethin » Mo 18. Jan 2016, 13:59

thank you Wolf for your excellent advice on how to post correctly. I will organise my information shortly and post again for the other names :-)
as for the Gahler connection- yes Tablat is definitely the right place. The oldest full information I have is for my grandfather Johannes (Emil) Gahler (b. 8th june 1911 Tablat SG d. 1997 Bretzwil BL) but I believe his father's name was Jakob Gahler. Johannes Gahler married Margrit Rutz.
kind regards, Michelle

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Mo 18. Jan 2016, 16:24

megethin hat geschrieben:... - yes Tablat is definitely the right place. The oldest full information I have is for my grandfather Johannes (Emil) Gahler (b. 8th June 1911 Tablat SG, d. 1997 Bretzwil BL), but I believe his father's name was Jakob Gahler.
That's sufficient info to get started without confidentiality problems: birth records before 1916 (at least 100 years ago) can be viewed at the State Archive; will check next time I'm there (no promise, when).

Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz (GHGO) - https://www.ghgo.ch/

megethin

Beitrag von megethin » Di 19. Jan 2016, 14:22

danke vielmal!! Ich kann warten :-)

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Mi 2. Mär 2016, 22:19

Birth record (Geburtsregister A 1911, Tablat SG, Seite 192, No.322, summarised):
Den 08.06.1911 um 1 Uhr vormittags wurde geboren zu Kreuzhof, Tablat, Gahler Johann Emil, ehelicher Sohn des Gahler Jakob Anton, Beruf Landwirt, von Tablat, wohnhaft in Kreuzhof, und der Maria Elisa, geborene Egger von Eggersriet.
The document includes the father's signature.

Marriage record (Eheregister A 1907, Tablat SG, Seite 306, No.42, summarised):
Heute den 22.04.1907 sind vor dem unterzeichneten Zivilstandsbeamten erschienen:
1.) Gahler Jacob Anton, Landwirt, von Tablat, wohnhaft in Tablat Kreuzhof, ledig, geboren in Tablat den 08.04.1879, Sohn des Gahler Johann Josef sel. und der Maria Magdalena geb. Ochsner.
2.) Egger Maria Elisa, Ferggerin von Eggersriet, wohnhaft in St.Georgen, ledig, geboren in Tablat den 10.07.1884, Tochter des Egger Christian, Milchler sel. und der Juliana geb. Ochsner.
The document includes the couple's signatures.

I have photographed both documents: if you send me your mail address (by PM - not in the public forum text!), I can send you these images.

I didn't have the time to check the next generation - will have to wait for my next visit to the archives.

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Fr 18. Mär 2016, 18:19

In the meantime I have checked "Bürgerregister" and can list more generations (numbering according to Kekule):

001 Gahler Michelle

002 Gahler Kurt Emil

004 Gahler Johann Emil (08.06.1911-29.05.1997) von Tablat SG
oo 03.10.1936
005 Rutz Margrith (07.11.1915-2011) von Buchs SG

008 Gahler Jakob Anton (08.04.1879-10.06.1917) von Tablat SG , 1914-1917 "Ortsverwaltungsrat" (member of the community administration)
oo 22.04.1907
009 Egger Maria Elisa (10.07.1884-31.01.1937) von Eggersriet SG

016 Gahler Johann Josef (16.01.1836-03.07.1898) von Tablat SG
oo 20.05.1878 (his second marriage)
017 Ochsner Maria Magdalena (01.04.1856-06.08.1937)

032 Gahler Franz Anton (08.12.1779-11.09.1867) von Tablat SG (additional info)
oo 09.05.1825
033 Baumgartner Katharina (03.03.1793-?) von Mörschwil SG

064 Gahler Franz Anton (* um 1750) von Tablat SG
oo (additional info)
065 Mäder Anna Maria (* um 1750)

The Gahler family have been tenants of the Kreuzhof since 1841, and have been running the farm belonging to the women's convent of Notkersegg in Tablat SG for generations. Jakob Anton (1879-1917) was the last on the above list; Johann Emil (1911-1997) moved to Basel-Landschaft, his brother Jakob Anton continued on the farm.

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Fr 18. Mär 2016, 21:20

And now we have something to practise reading old documents ;):
Tablat-Buergerrechtsbuch-001a-4629k.jpg
Tablat-Buergerrechtsbuch-008r-Detail-4645k.jpg
Hans Gailer uß Trogen ein Landmann ist zu einem Tablater angenommen, hat seinen Inzug geben, ist von im genommen worden.
(notes on children)
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

Wolf

Gahler Franz Anton (1779-1867)

Beitrag von Wolf » Do 9. Jun 2016, 19:29

Wolf hat geschrieben:032 Gahler Franz Anton (08.12.1779-11.09.1867) von Tablat SG
oo 09.05.1825
033 Baumgartner Katharina (03.03.1793-?) von Mörschwil SG
Franciscus Antonius Gaaler [spelling in baptismal record] was baptised in Mörschwil [neighbouring village to Tablat] on 8th Dec 1799. Godparents were Joannes Mäder and Anna Maria Gaalerin. Alberenberg (see also here) is listed as residence.

There is no fitting wedding entry on 9th May 1825 in Mörschwil. The wedding register of St.Gallen Dom still needs to be checked.

Wolf

Gahler Franz Anton (* um 1750)

Beitrag von Wolf » Do 9. Jun 2016, 22:00

Wolf hat geschrieben:064 Gahler Franz Anton (* um 1750) von Tablat SG
oo
065 Mäder Anna Maria (* um 1750)
The wedding of Franz Antoni Gaaler and Anna Maria Mäderin was 1 of actually 13 weddings taking place at the St.Gallen Dom (Cathedral) on 7th Feb 1774. Witnesses were Joannes Mäder and Barbara Berlin. Mörschwil is given as residence.

The wedding is also recorded in the Mörschwil wedding register (indicating that the wedding had taken place in St.Gallen). Here Alberenberg (see also here) is listed as residence: for the writer in St.Gallen Mörschwil was sufficiently accurate, but the person noting the wedding in Mörschwil knew it in more detail.

Possibly more important in the Mörschwil entry is that Franz Anton Gaaler is described as widower, whilst Anna Maria Mäder is denoted as virgin. If Franz Anton Gaaler married in 1774 as widower, he will most likely be born before 1750.

There are two potential entries for (a) previous wedding(s) of Franz Anton Gahler in St.Gallen Dom:
08.02.1768 with Maria Francisca Hauserin
30.01.1769 with Anna Maria Ursulerin
The groom's marital status is not given in 1769 - death records would need to be checked to see if Maria Francisca Hauserin died within less than one year of the wedding.

Wolf

Gahler Hans (Neubürger von Tablat 1597)

Beitrag von Wolf » Do 9. Jun 2016, 22:33

Wolf hat geschrieben:
Hans Gailer uß Trogen ein Landmann ist zu einem Tablater angenommen, hat seinen Inzug geben, ist von im genommen worden.
The baptismal register of St.Gallen Dom (Cathedral) lists the following children - note the variations in spelling, but it will be the same parents:
04.07.1595 Anna (Hanß Galler & Katrina Hägenschwilerin)
24.02.1597 Justin (Hanß Galler & Katrina Regenschwillerin)
28.10.1598 Catrin (Hans Gäler & Catrin Rickenschwilerin)
27.05.1601 Bastian (Hanß Gäller & Caterina Rugckhenschwilerin)
There may have been more children after 1603: the records from 1604 on are almost impossible to decipher (extremely "bad" handwriting, ink faded, and abbreviations used for surnames, some easy to guess, others no idea).

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Di 3. Jan 2017, 13:47

Die Zusammenfassung der Geschichte der Gahler von Tablat ist inzwischen im Tablättli, der Quartierzeitschift des Quartiervereins St-Fiden Neudorf erschienen.

robinfmg

Beitrag von robinfmg » Do 28. Dez 2017, 19:47

Dear Michelle: My name is Robin Flickinger Gaynor. My friend, here in WA state, USA, is Rudy Gahler. He is from the Tablat area in Switzerland. I contacted Rudy about your post. Here is his reply to you and your Gahler family.
My email is: [removed - to prevent spam] - you can contact me directly through email to have that forwarded on to
my friend. His email to you:

"Dear Mr. Gahler,

I received your email from a friend who does a lot of genealogy. I was born and raised in Zurich and have lived in USA since 1955. I was a country doctor for 30 years. It appears that we are indeed relatives! Our family lived in the “Schaugenhof” from the late 15-hundreds on. It is a farm with a house and barn in St. Gallen – Tablat. My great-grandfather unfortunately sold the place. We visited the new owners. They still farm and operate a small restaurant on the second floor. While there, we met a very nice elderly local farmer by the name of Gahler. As far as we could tell we are no close relatives of his.

The name ”Rutz” (spelling ?) sounds very familiar. I saw it somewhere in our genealogy I will look it up.

Please let me know where you live and what you are doing.
Happy New Year
Rudy Gahler"

~ Thank you, Michelle. Robin

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Do 28. Dez 2017, 21:19

First of all, Robin: welcome to the forum!
robinfmg hat geschrieben: Do 28. Dez 2017, 19:47My email is: [removed - to prevent spam] - you can contact me directly through email to have that forwarded on to
my friend.
Mail addresses in the forum text are (unfortunately) only an invitation for spam - therfore they are removed, whenever spotted. If (really - IF) bilateral communication makes sense, e.g. because information about individuals still alive is to be exchanged) this should be done via PN (personal note), which is spam-proof. Usually posting information in the forum is the way to go, however: just imagine, Michelle and I had only corresponded by mail ... this topic wouldn't exist and you would not have come across it.
robinfmg hat geschrieben: Do 28. Dez 2017, 19:47It appears that we are indeed relatives! Our family lived in the “Schaugenhof” from the late 15-hundreds on. It is a farm with a house and barn in St. Gallen - Tablat. My great-grandfather unfortunately sold the place.
I have extracted a lot of information on Gahler families from different sources. If you post the information you have (on individuals born before 1900) here in the forum, I may be able to connect your lines.
robinfmg hat geschrieben: Do 28. Dez 2017, 19:47The name ”Rutz” (spelling ?) sounds very familiar. I saw it somewhere in our genealogy I will look it up.
The structure of this forum is such that only single families (defined by name and place of citizenship) are discussed in any given topic. If families are related (usually by marriage) their topics can be linked to each other. Now for Rutz: this is a fairly common name in Appenzell-Ausserrhoden and St.Gallen (see viewtopic.php?f=49&t=441) and there are already 9 different topics on the forum for different Rutz lines. So - if you know the place of citizenship of "your" Rutz (and a topic exists) "answer" in this topic - otherwise start a new topic. Here only Gahler von Tablat should be discussed.

I wish you fun and success for your genealogy on this forum - Wolf

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Fr 29. Dez 2017, 13:32

robinfmg hat geschrieben: Do 28. Dez 2017, 19:47Our family lived in the “Schaugenhof” from the late 15-hundreds on. It is a farm with a house and barn in St. Gallen–Tablat.
As described in the arcticle Ein Tablater in Australien Hans Gailer (original spelling) from Trogen gained "Landrecht" in Tablat in 1597: he's the progenitor of all Tablat Gahlers of today. It is not known, where he lived, but in 1632 his descendant Jacob Galer, a miller, is listed in a tax roll as living in "Schowingen" (Schaugen today, incl. Schaugenhof): whether he is one of your ancestors (or just an "uncle") would need to be checked, as the Gahlers spread all over Tablat.

megethin

Beitrag von megethin » Fr 29. Dez 2017, 14:26

Hello Robin & Rudy (and hello again Wolf!)
thank you for contacting me about the Gahler family. Wolf has been amazing helping me with so much information as it has been very challenging for me being all the way in Australia and not having good enough german to sort through information on the internet myself. You can see my direct line from the post above that Wolf did on 19th March 2016. Please do not hesitate to private message me otherwise I look forward to hearing more about your links on this page. kind regards, Michelle (nee Gahler)

robinfmg

Beitrag von robinfmg » Di 12. Jun 2018, 06:50

Wolf and Michelle,
My friend Hans Rudolf Gahler hopes to discuss the Tablatt Gahlers.
He is a new Geneal Forum member.

Thank you, Robin Gaynor

robinfmg

Beitrag von robinfmg » Di 12. Jun 2018, 06:52

Oh! I just found this note now!
Robin 😎

Antworten

Zurück zu „St.Gallen (SG)“